The Youth Space is Here
What is the Youth Space?
The Youth Space is a safe area provided in the new Gawler Civic Centre. The space exists to create opportunities for young people.
Where is the Youth Space?
Gawler Civic Centre, 89-91 Murray Street, Gawler
The Youth Space is located on the mezzanine level. It is most easily accessible from the High Street entrance of the Centre.
Who can come? What age does the space cater for?
The Youth Space is available for young people aged 8-25 years. However, each program specifies age restrictions. These are required to be adhered to, to ensure safety of all participants.
What is the Space's normal hours of operation?
During a typical public school term:
The Youth Space will offer programs run by Council Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Young people can arrive from 3.30pm. Programs run from 4pm - 5.45pm. The Youth Space closes at 6pm.
Other youth service providers will offer their services/programs outside of these hours.
Once off events and activities will occur throughout terms too.
During school holidays:
You can expect a full suite of programs through the April, July and October holidays.
The summer holidays will be a little different due to Christmas and New Year’s shutdown, but we’ll keep you posted as we get closer.
There are a number of ways we’ll let you know about what’s happening:
Here on the Youth Portal - www.youth.gawler.sa.gov.au
Facebook: Gawler Youth
Posters and fliers distributed at Schools and around the town.
Email and SMS - We’d love to make sure you’re first to know. You can join our Youth Space database here and you can tell us if you want to receive an email or text alert so you don’t miss out. Fill out the form below.
Will the Youth Space have free Wi-Fi?
Is that actually a question – YES!
What types of programs will the Youth Space be providing?
- Hang out - safe social space
- Health and wellbeing – e.g. Teen Yoga
- Homework support
- Life skills such as budgeting, tax help, managing bills, etc
- Employment preparation and career development
Who will be running these programs?
The programs will be run by Council Staff and other youth service providers.
Programs will be supported by Town of Gawler Volunteers and placement students with appropriate screening and training.
What training and screening will they have?
We operate under best practice principles. Program Leaders will have DHS (formerly DCSI) clearances, and have Child Safe Environments Training. Program Supports will have a DHS clearance at minimum.
How do you register for programs?
There are two things you need to do:
- Complete a ‘Youth Space Membership, Ascent and Consent Form’ - download below. This Form covers a calendar year. This Form is only completed once each year. It gathers the important information we need to keep young people safe. This requires a responsible adult’s signature for anyone under the age of 18. You will be issued a Membership card which provides you a number to register weekly. This card will soon act as a loyalty/discount card for many of our awesome local businesses.
- Go to www.youth.gawler.sa.gov.au find the program or event you want and follow the prompts to register. Alternatively you can call the Youth Space mobile, 0488 991 765.
What’s the cost?
As much as possible we will provide programs at no or low cost. This will be clearly highlighted for each program.
I would like to help at programs. How do I get involved?
We’d love to hear from you and discuss how you may like to be involved. Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator on 8522 9225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I contact staff at the Youth Space?
Youth Space mobile: 0488 991 765
Facebook: Gawler Youth
File size: 468 KB | File format: pdf